Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July

This Fourth of July may be one of my favorites ever. I have always loved the Liberty fireworks and I didn't think anything would ever beat them (you get to lay down and they are right above you-amazing!) but this might have done it, or at least come really really close! On Fisher's, I guess the 4th of July is a really big deal so lots of people come up just for this weekend. Everywhere was crowded but it just made everything more fun.

I started off the day by going to church for the first time here on the Island. Luckily, I had met a couple of the people that I go to church with a couple days earlier so I knew some people before. Natali dropped me off for the 8:15 ferry and I met up with the 8 other people that I will be going to church with. There are 6 girls and 5 of us are nannies and from Utah. The other girl is a lifegaurd from Idaho. And then 3 guys. Everybody is so cool and I already feel like they are all my best friends. We got to New London at 9:00 and someone was there to pick us up and take us to church. Our church started at 10, so we had to wait a while but it was alright. The ward there is so small and I think they have already requested my records. 2 of the guys teach primary so I went with one of them yesterday to help him. It was so much fun and if I get a calling, they said it would probably be in the primary, maybe even just staying and helping him. After church got out at 1, we went to the family's house who picked us up from the ferry. We ate there and played games until we had to leave for our 3:00 ferry.

After we got off, I went with 2 of the girls to one of their houses and we just hung out for a bit and she took me home to change. Then we all met back up again to have a cookout and watch the sunset. It was so awesome. I love the sunsets here, and they are so fun to watch every night.


This is all 9 of us before the fireworks started. We were at a place called dock beach and it was just perfect because they were doing the fireworks on the other side of the water and so the reflection from the fireworks were what made it so amazing. I had a great 4th of July, and first day of church. It was kinda nice to just get away from the house and just be with friends for one day.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Wow! You are off to a great start! This 4th will be one you remember forever since it has been so different from years past. I would have thought you'd known those friends your whole life. Isn't it nice how a common bond such as being LDS can bring people together!

Lee said...

That is soooo awesome Jess! How fun for me to see everyone you've been talking about and to see and hear what you did on Sunday since I didn't get to talk to you. Keep up the great posts! I LOVE the fireworks across the water, the sunset, that you ride a ferry to church, and that you'll maybe get a calling! That's so awesome! I'm so happy you have some friends!

Annie said...

We missed you at our party but I am glad you had such a fun time doing new and exciting things.

Kylee said...

How awesome that you found friends so quick! I'm glad you'll have someone to go to church with and hang out with on your time off. That'll be so great! I love the fireworks on the water. That's the best! Keep up the pictures.

Lindsey said...

Wow! Those photos of the fireworks sure turned out neat, mine never do. I'm glad to hear you like Liberty fireworks too, we missed you this year. How fun for you to have a group of friends, that makes me happy in my heart to know you are not out there all alone, missing me more than you can stand it! Keep the posts coming :)