Thursday, December 13, 2012

Puno/Lake Titicaca

We went to the bus station in Cuzco for our 7 hour, over night, bus ride to puno.
Friday: We got a taxi to our hotel and got there at about 5:30am. We had a relaxing day and tried to catch up on our sleep. We found a yummy place to eat breakfast, took a nap, walked around the city center, watched a movie, went to dinner and went to bed early.

Saturday: we got picked up from our tour guide where we went on a boat on lake Titicaca. We first saw the floating reed islands and saw and learned about how it was created and how they live. We also dressed up like them. It was very interesting to learn about it all. 




Our next stop was to another Island that took 3 hours to get to- where we would be staying the night. We each got a 'mama' and stayed with a family. Our family had a 3 month old baby boy (lucky me). This was definetly another highlight of our trip- staying with the family. It was an eye opener for me to see that this is the way their EVERY day is like, and they don't know anything different.


Our family served us a yummy lunch and then we met up with everyone from our tour group to hike up to to top of their mountain to their 'temple' and to see the sunset.

Then we went back home to have dinner which was the best food we had in Peru- soup, rice with this creamy sauce, potatoes and peas. The drink was hot water, sugar and minty leaves which was actually pretty good. We got dressed up and went to go have a dance party with everyone. I do realize that those clothes make me look extremely fat...

Saturday: We had pancakes with our family and then left to go to the next and final Island about an hour away. We hiked up to the top of that mountain (if I would have known we'd be doing so much hiking, I would have brought my tennis shoes instead of my sandals). We saw their city center and had lunch and then walked down about 500 stairs on the other side of the mountain to our boat. When we got back to our hotel, we went to dinner at a really yummy place and then watched a movie. We flew back to Trujillo the next morning. It was a fabulous trip and I'm so glad we were able to go and squeeze in so many fun things!


2 comments:

Lee said...

You did a fabulous job highlighting everything. I almost feel like I was there! So great job on that. I'm so happy you and Brad were able to experience all that together. Those memories will last you a lifetime!

Kylee said...

Wow, you got to stay with a local family?? That's really cool. Do they do that with all tourists, or were you guys just special? That lake is beautiful and I think it's awesome that you really got thrown in to their culture. I love the outfits. Wow, what an amazing adventure!